2018 Convention of the ACT & Region Branch of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy
Dear Friends and Supporters:
Please find the details here for the 2018 Convention of the ACT & Region Branch of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy.
All the evidence suggests that we will be voting at a referendum before too much longer on whether we retain our cherished constitutional monarchy, or we move to a republic.
The choice is stark: a system of government that has given us one of the most stable and free democracies in the world, or a republic in which our Westminster system and impartial, non-political head of state would be swept away.
We need to gear up for the fight ahead and this Convention will be a first step.
Please come along and help us plan the campaign and tell us how you can assist. Please contact me on 0419854211 or [email protected] should you like to discuss the Convention or any other matters affecting ACM.
I hope to see you at the Convention.
Gary Kent, Convenor
AUSTRALIANS FOR CONSTITUTIONAL MONARCHY ACT & REGION 2018 Convention
When: 12.30 for 1.00pm, Saturday 16 June 2018
Where: Havelock House, 85 Northbourne Avenue (b/w McKay St and Gould St), Turner, ACT
- 12.30pm Registration and coffee
- 1.00 Opening: Gary Kent, Convenor
- 1.30 Robert Baillieu, ANU Monarchist Society – Constitutional monarchies as international best practice – Challenges presented by another referendum
- 2-2.45 Malcolm Mackerras AO followed by discussion – “Should a country which has Queen Elizabeth II as its Sovereign be classified as ‘a foreign power’ in Section 44 of the Constitution?”
- 2.45-3.45 Campaign preparation
- 3.45 General business
- 4.00 Close
$5 donation at door for room hire and afternoon tea. Parking at Finnish Lutheran Church, off Gould St, cnr Gould and Watson Sts, Turner. (For further information, contact Gary Kent on 0419 854 211 or [email protected])