The Queen Prince Charles and Prince William sent their thoughts to the people of Queensland on Thursday, as the reality of the huge damage bill began to sink in reports Geoff Chambers in Sydney's Daily Telegraph (7/1). the Queen had earlier sent a message of sympathy to the Governor and people.
"I have been following with great concern over the last few days the news of the devastating floods in Queensland," the Queen said in a message to the Governor of Queensland on Thursday.
"Please extend my sincere sympathies to all the people whose communities and livelihoods have been so badly damaged in this disaster."
Prince Charles said:
"My wife and I have been horrified by reports of the terrible flooding in Queensland.
"The scale of the disaster all but defies belief and, on behalf of us both, I just wanted you to know how much our hearts go out to the hundreds of thousands of people whose lives and property have been affected.
"I also wanted to say how enormously impressed we have been by what is, clearly, outstanding combined work of the military, emergency services, federal and state authorities in ensuring that people are evacuated to places of safety.
"As we all mark the start of a New Year I can only pray that the worst of the flooding is over and send you every possible good wish as you work for the recovery of the many communities involved."
Prince William said: "My thoughts are with you and the people of Queensland at this incredibly difficult time. So many in the United Kingdom …and around the world have been shocked by the images of the flooding and its impact on the lives of Queenslanders. I hope the support you continue to receive will strengthen further the spirit, resilience and resolve for which Australians are rightly famous, and which will lead you to overcome this natural tragedy."