These are two of twelve videos from a broadcast of the ACM and Roy Morgan Research event "State of the Nation – Australia's Constitutional Future: Challenges for the Monarchy in a globally connected world".
This was first broadcast at 10.30am on Monday 14 November on FOXTEL's and AUSTAR's A-PAC Channel 648 and streamed on the internet at http://www.a-pac.tv/
The event was hosted by the Hon David Clarke MLC at Parliament House Sydney on 8 November 2011 on the State of the Australian Nation, and in particular on support for the constitutional monarchy.
Roy Morgan Research is Australia's oldest polling organisation and one of its most influential and respected.
On the invitation of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy, Roy Morgan Research had earlier prepared a survey on trends in public opinion on support for constitutional change since the 1999 referendum.
This was presented at ACM's 12th National Conference held in Melbourne on 8 October 2011, just before the Royal Visit of Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness the Duke of Edinburgh.
The survey concluded that support for a (politicians') republic has been trending down to 34% and was below support for the constitutional monarchy. This was featured on the news in Australia and around the world.
Roy Morgan Research reviewed this at the end of the Royal Visit and prepared a report on support for the constitutional monarchy within this report on the State of the Nation.
This report is essentially about Australians' views on what is important in today's Australia. It covers the most important economic, political, environmental and other issues facing the world and Australia as seen by Australians, including the contentious carbon (or CO2 tax) and the current state of federal politics.
The State of the Nation is in 12 parts:
1. Welcome: Jai Martinkovits, Executive Director of ACM and The Hon David Clark MP.
2. Introduction: Professor David Flint and Gary Morgan, Executive Chairman, Roy Morgan Research.
3. State of the Nation Report: Michele Levine, CEO, Roy Morgan Research.
4. State of the Nation Report, continued: Michele Levine.
5. State of the Nation Report, concluded: Michele Levine.
6. Conversazione: Professor Flint poses questions to Michele Levine and Gary Morgan.
7. Conversazione, concluded: Professor Flint poses questions to Michele Levine and Gary Morgan.
8. Question Time: Michele Levine and Gary Morgan.
9. Question Time, continues: Michele Levine and Gary Morgan.
10. Question Time, continues: Michele Levine and Gary Morgan.
11. Question Time, concludes: Michele Levine and Gary Morgan.
12. Vote of thanks: Christopher Flynn, who contrasts the situation in the European Union.